Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sea legs... or clay fingers, to be exact.

sea legs
pl n Informal

1. The ability to adjust one's balance to the motion of a ship, especially in rough seas. 

Fired, glazed, and fired again, these cylinders will be stacked
around a rebar core to create a reed-like form.
Like struggling to put a name on a distant but familiar face, it's slowly coming back to me.  Those closest to me know I have a hard time staying too long with any one medium...  I am prone to artistic bouncing.  With clay, I may have met my match in the true context of the word.

In an open studio you may hear the term, 'coaxing the clay.'  One learns quickly that you are more her partner than her master.  She will never completely yield to you and you must earn her respect. 

While glass is rendered vulnerable and blown into shape, wood is hacked and sanded, metal is melted and hammered... clay is one small step from her point of origin and you've got to meet her on her terms. She is Earth. There isn't a more intimate or humbling relationship with a medium, and this is what draws me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment