Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Points of Impact

Every now and then life gives you a jolt.  The effect of which is only as intense as your proximity to the point of impact.  In this case the point of impact was at Holmquest Motors Auto Repair, an arm’s length from our beloved studio in Verona.  Don and I were watching the news Friday night when the familiar landscape rolled onto the screen.  “I know that place!  Oh my gosh, I know that place!  It’s right next door!”
From where one stands at any given moment, we are more or less connected to a galaxy alive with points of impact.  A coworker’s chemo, a friend’s unemployment, a sibling’s medical scare, a neighboring business’ fire… ripple outward from the point of impact and travel the emotional distance between yourself and the event.   I am removed from the fire and am not invested enough to absorb much of its impact, but I extend my heart to the mechanics who may have lost their livelihood.  And as with any near misses, I turn my head to breathe a sigh of relief and count my blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment